Hacemos una invitación a nuestras alumnas al Programa “STEM Academy for Women of the Americas 2020”, que se llevará a cabo en enero 2020 del año entrante en Querétaro.
The Innovation Academy for Women in the Americas in an intensive two-week educational program for female undergraduate students, who reside in the Americas and are currently enrolled in a STEM+A* fields of study. The Academy supports the capacity of these emerging female leaders by providing them with an opportunity to develop a sustainable project within their field of study and in collaboration with their peers. As a culminating activity, all Academy completers formally present their project proposal to their international colleagues.
The Academy is a joint project between the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in the United States and the Universidad Politécnica de Santa Rosa Jáuregui (UPSRJ) in Querétaro, México and is supported by grant funding from 100K Strong in the Americas Innovation Fund Initiative.
All instruction is provided in English by UNM and UPSRJ faculty in the historical Centre of Santiago de Querétaro, known simply as Querétaro. Located just forty miles from San Miguel de Allende, Querétaro is a UNESO World Heritage Site, known for its tranquil plazas, fine restaurants, and museums and other cultural sites.
Students attend classes Monday through Friday from 09:00 am to 06:00 pm and on the weekends, they partake in group travel to nearby towns as Cadereyta, Bernal, Tequisquiapan in Querétaro State and San Miguel de Allende in Guanajuato State. All classroom instruction will take place Educational and Cultural Center “Manuel Gómez Morin” in Querétaro City within fifteen minutes walking distance from the students´ accommodations.
WHEN: Sunday, January 05, 2020 to Friday, January 19, 2020
WHERE: Querétaro, México
WHO: Female undergraduates in academic good study, who are enrolled in STEM+A fields and who reside in any country of the Americas
FEE: $400 USD (excludes airfare from country of origin) for national and international students.
University of New Mexico (UNM)
Universidad Politécnica de Santa Rosa Jáuregui (UPSRJ)
WHAT: Non-credit certificate
*Students who successfully complete the full program will earn a non-credit certificate of completion from both UNM and UPSRJ. Students who are interested in receiving credit are advised to consult with their home institution to explore such options as prior learning credit, independent study, etc. prior to enrolling in the Academy.
The STEM +A fields includes any area of study within the following fields: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or Architecture.
Visa or immigration documents for international students are not required.
ACTIVITIES AND PROVISIONS
As part of the program, students partake in a number of activities and are entitled to a number of provisions as described below:
- Shared accommodation* from Sunday, January 05, 2019 to Friday, January 19, 2020 at a tourist grade hotel
- Two meals per day with the exception of Saturday and Sunday.
- Banquet on Sunday, January 05.
- Ground transportation to all program site and cultural activities
- Airport pickup and drop off.
- Access to research centers, industrial sites and faculty
- Training in research, innovation, leadership, design thinking and project management and development
- Cultural excursions to Cadereyta, Bernal, Tequisquiapan in Querétaro State and San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato in Guanajuato State.
- Certificate of participation
What´s not included:
- Evening dinner (Please note that the biggest meal in México is lunch, which is provided by the program fee.)
- Airfare from the applicant’s country of residence.
- Student needs to arrange their own travel and must arrive by at Querétaro City by Sunday, January 05 and be ready for the welcome dinner at 6:00 pm. Students who reside from the United States should be aware that there are many affordable daily flights from Houston to Querétaro, México.
- Private accommodation (Students are expected to share a room with one other participant.)
- Personal expenses.
- Cost of living in México is very affordable, and most museums and other cultural sites are free. Students should budget $7.00 USD per day for spending money (coffee, snacks, movies, personal items, etc.) for the two week stay.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS Below is the list of requirements for all program participants.
- Current enrollment at a college or university in the Americas in good academic standing. Good academic standing is defined as the following:
- Students attending Latin American institutions must have a minimum of an 8 out of 0-10 scale, or equivalent.
- Students attending an institution in the United States must have a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or equivalent
- Have advanced standing
- Students attending four year institutions should have completed two years of study or the equivalent
- Students enrolled in a US Community College (or other two-year institution) must have completed no fewer than 30 semester hours or the equivalent
- Demonstrate the necessary maturity and responsibility to be able to participate actively in an intensive academic program
- Demonstrate being receptive to a diverse body of faculty and students, and a cross-cultural environment.
APPLICATION PROCESS Applicants must submit the following documents:
- Completed Application Form: https://www.formpl.us/form/596896077
- Copy of passport (or Official ID for Mexican nationals)
- A personal statement written in English in which the applicant describes her interest to participate in the Academy (500-word limit)
- Be enrolled in any area with the following disciplines: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or Architecture.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member, administrator or researcher from the home institution (in English or Spanish) in support of the applicant’s participation in the Academy
- An official copy of the applicant’s transcripts showing that the applicants is academically qualified.
- Students who are not native speakers of English or currently enrolled in a US college of institution, must have a minimum level of English proficiency in B1, in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Provide a certificate or letter of English proficiency from the home institution.
- Scan the above completed documents, one by one, in a PDF format. Name your documents as follow:
- “NAME OF THE DOCUMENT_LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_THEACADEMY2019” and send it by mail (not exceeding 10 MB per mail) and in the order described above as soon as possible and no later than November 8, 2019 at 12:00 pm.
to Nadine Arredondo at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by November 15, 2019.
- Students who need any special accommodations or who have dietary restrictions should provide supplementary information.
- Once they are selected, we will provide information about the payment process. Selected students will be committed to pay before November 30th, 2019 as deadline.
For more information regarding the Academy, please contact:
Universidad Politécnica de Santa Rosa Jáuregui
Office of International Education and Partnerships